Monday, November 25, 2013

The Tower Talk

   She made her way through the small crowd and somehow ended up next to me that day in the lunch line, and when I turned and saw her small disfigured face, I smiled as she said "Hey! Want to find a place to eat with me?"
   At 4' 10" she was small by anyone's standard. But she had a smile and an energy about her that was so much bigger than her short stature should be able to contain. She was the type of person that would surprise you long after you thought you knew her. 
   We grabbed our military meal and walked down the red dirt road that Schofield Barracks' east range was famous for. We found a small retaining wall made of wooden planks that was just tall enough for us to sit on, and just far enough away from everyone else that we could have some privacy. 
   Even as we sat down with our wobbly paper plates and our now near cold meal on them, I wasn't quite sure why she picked me to speak with that day. We weren't good friends. We didn't speak one on one at all, really, usually only in a group setting by default because of common friends/co-workers. When we did talk though, I loved her smile. Even before the incident. (I refuse to call it an accident.) I loved to see her laugh... it was genuine... right down to the core of her soul, she laughed. Her body swayed, her arms moved... and I enjoyed making her laugh like that too. 
  On the Saturday, 10 days earlier, she was with her husband and another couple at their home on the north shore. They were all enjoying some drink and some smoke for most of that day, and something happened later that evening that prompted her husband to grab a chair and swing it at her. It took most of her nose off. Gone.
  We made small talk as we walked down the road to this secluded place, which happens to be near the repel tower at the 25th Infantry Division's Air Assault school. I don't remember what we did talk about, but I know it wasn't anything to do with that night. 
  When she felt ready, she told me the details of that night, and what led up to it. She told me about how she had always feared he could get violent one day, especially when he was high. She told me she felt like they had already smoked enough that day. She told her husband they should save the rest for later. But he and his buddies were in no mood to listen to the short little wife enlisted woman who worked in the S2 on post. She was just trying to put an end to their fun. 
  It was the first time her husband ever got violent with her. He had never hit her prior to that day. That may be why he couldn't find it in his heart to use his fists. He had never done it before. But the small desk chair was available, and the damage it caused was permanent. 
  I remember her telling me her friends wouldn't let her look at it. She didn't see it for herself until she was at the emergency room and she told those with her that she had to go to the bathroom. I can still remember the look of terror on her beautiful face as she described the first time she saw her disfigurement. 
  She needed someone to open up to that day. Not sure why... but I was there. 
  We never talked like that again after that day either. We talked, but never one on one again, like that day. We had a deep respect and care for each other, but from afar. We exchanged smiles from a distance during morning formations regularly. We met in larger groups and talked regularly, but nothing like that day under the repel tower that was affectionately known as "The Green Monster". 
  I hope she still knows how to laugh. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment