Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Peeing in the Gene Pool

   I spent years telling people that there weren't as many crooks out there as what the media portrayed in the world of auto repair businesses. And I still believe it to this day. But in hindsight, maybe I should have been looking from a third party point of view to see more than I did with my inside-info-eyes.
   I was naive for so many years. I thought I knew more than my peers. For many of those peers, I did, and they respected me for the way I used that knowledge as a leader among them. They also respected the knowledge I possessed that I didn't always share. The younger ones always knew that my word was most likely to help them.
  But now I look at it all as I'm now completely on the outside and I see things so differently. I was naive enough to think that standing up and taking initiative as a leader in the shop was going to get me an office with a view one day. But as it turns out, my fate was determined long ago. The day I was conceived to be exact.
  I wasn't a member of the Lucky Sperm Club... and because of that, there is always someone who is in that club that is closer to the front of the line for that office with a view. The part that pisses me off more than anything though is the fact that I nurtured so many of them and taught them how to do that job. I made so many look like heroes to their uncles, their cousins, their brothers, their whoever... I was the one that was responsible for their success. I should have seen it all too, they were always calling me to come back. I'm probably the only person most of you know that has been at a job, quit, and then went back again at FOUR different places. I must say though... the most recent one was actually a very good manager once he put his head into it. But most of the others... they are still worthless.
  Makes me wonder if I'll escape it in any business, or if I just need to go swimming in a new gene pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment