Sunday, November 3, 2013

Movies before Microwaves

  I've always been a bit of a nostalgic type. I was probably 6 years old when I first started my antique beer can collection. Around that same time I also started collecting car brochures too. I wish I would have put more of an effort into that one, but hindsight is always 20/20, right? 
  I've somehow found a strange pleasure in using this nostalgic side of my psyche to educate my g/f's daughter on anything that has to do with the way things were. Everything from music and movies to phones, phonographs, and photo booths. Since her and her friends are all big music fans I gave them a quick lesson recently on the history of the east coast/west coast hip hop scene and the rivalry that resulted from it. I explained to her that the rivalry is what created some of the best music of the last twenty years. It made all the artist dig deep and push the limits of their creativity. 
  Another interest that the two of us have in common is scary movies. So, today I'm sitting on the couch watching Mia Farrow in Rosemary's Baby. It definitely has some awkward scenes, when watching with a teenage girl, but fortunately the fact that cinematography has changed so much along with special effects (The "blood" when the neighbor's live-in girl falls from the window looks exactly like red paint) that there are plenty of things to laugh at to lighten the semi-graphic nudity. 
  One thing that I noticed while watching this movie though was the pace. Maybe not as noticeable when viewed as a movie from the 1960's but if you compare it to something more current, like any of the Paranormal Activity movies, you'll realize that it was written and produced before we turned into a society of people sitting in front of a laptop, saying "C'mon already" because the page is taking 4-6 seconds to load. 
   I remember once long ago, probably in the early 1990's, I heard a stand-up comedian say that we had turned in to society who had grown accustomed to standing in front of a microwave, tapping our foot and saying "Hurry up already!" He was right, and I have a feeling it will only get worse. I routinely hear computer and cell phone manufacturers in their advertisements making claims that their products are 3X faster than their competitors. Now, that would be impressive to me if the competitors product took... three days to find a website. But when brand X takes .8 seconds to load a page and the new, more expensive product is three times faster... I'm not buying into the hype. Does that sound like a difference that will make you want to spend a few hundred dollars more on a product? Let me ask you this... wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just learn how to type the url that much quicker? 
   Okay.. enough of my rant... I'm going to go now since I need to brush my teeth after watching Rosemary eat a piece of raw chicken liver. Yummmy...

No comments:

Post a Comment