Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Drugstore Chins and the Bad Hair Day

 D and I go way back... to when we were both turning wrenches for way too little money. Even though we didn't work with each other as techs, we met that way.
 Something in us clicked that day in 2001, just weeks before the 9/11 attacks... and we kept in touch even after he left.
  Yesterday was the first time I've seen you in over four years, and I saw that glimpse of what you used to be like. I shouldn't have, really. You've gained weight, and not in the right places. Your hair looks like a bad Sopranos prop... your chins are easy to loose track of... you walk like you're carrying a child in your clothing...
but you made sure to tell me that I gained weight. 15 lbs to be exact.
 You also made sure to tell me that the stories that were going around about you weren't true. Of course they weren't.... they never are. The cops didn't arrest you in your office... you turned yourself in. It was the first time you forged the Rx... of course it was. DEA wasn't involved.. three newspapers were all wrong with the exact same untruths.
  Everyone else there saw us talking... and talked about it. Of course they did. I'm the former employee, you're the new boss and we're talking outside your office for three hours. What did you think?
  Your stories are legit D.
  I'm sorry about what happened.
  No, I'm not coming back. I'm done.
  Not working on your side projects with you and your brother either. And J doesn't want to get involved with you two. I asked him already.
  You'll do fine there. Until the big guy gets tired of you. And then you'll find another past life to tug on for awhile.
  Good luck.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment