Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Bird brains

I've never looked at birds in the wild and given thought as to what may be going through their minds. Until today.
For some reason, we have a high number of hummingbirds in the area at this time of the year and in particular, in our backyard this morning. As I sit here, watching them through the sliding glass door flutter around under our 12 X 12 canopy away from the slow drizzle of Oregon's rainy season, I noticed that they have an unusually high sense of security here. Even though they see me through the glass just a few feet away, they seem to feel safe here. Like a child in his or her treehouse, or dog laying on the comfy couch, they seem to find solace here.
And now I think to myself... how I must look to them? Do I appear comfortable and safe? Do I look tired or relaxed? Do I give the perception of being a member of the top of the food chain?

No comments:

Post a Comment