Saturday, December 28, 2013

Customer Care and Wow! Did that just Happen?

   Have you ever noticed that it is almost impossible to go back to an old job and just be a customer? No matter what type the business is, it's always a hassle in one way or another. But what happened to me yesterday still has me baffled as to what to do. Maybe the 4.73 people who read this will be able to provide me with some insight.
   I worked at a Toyota dealer here in the area, a very prominent one actually. One that truly does have a different business model than any other dealership in the country. They really do strive to maximize their customer service and satisfaction, and they are somewhat successful at it. But Toyota has a very organized customer feedback design in place and when things don't go the dealerships way, it tends to get nasty.
   When I worked there, I bought two new cars, the newest being my 2013 Camry SE. I took it in for one of the free services, compliments of Toyota Care, about three weeks ago. A couple days later, I got an email from Toyota with the link to their customer service experience survey.
   Now, having been a Toyota dealership employee before, I realize the significance of these surveys. I understand they carry a lot of weight with them, and most of the dealerships use the results of these surveys to determine employee performance based salaries and/or bonuses. I've even seen people lose their jobs over a couple bad surveys. (One in particular was a service writer who was fired after receiving two bad surveys in one day. They came from two older gentleman who got stellar service, and their cars were fixed perfectly the first time and on time. But they got into an argument  with each other, which lead to pushing and shoving in the waiting room over the presidential debate which was on television the night before.)
   I was honest on this survey, and included some very detailed explanations of my observations in the comments section. I included all the good with the bad, and I didn't lie or exaggerate about anything. When I finished, I hit the send button, returning the completed survey via cyberspace back to those individuals at Toyota that analyze the surveys, just like I've done before at least 5 times.
  This time was different. Within 20 minutes, my phone rang. It was the service director at the dealership. Let me note here that he was NOT in this position when I left this dealership before. But I have worked for him in the past at a couple different places. A couple years ago, he had a little run in with the law. He did some rehab time, made good on a career somewhere else, and then he started where he's at now about two months ago.
  It wasn't the type of phone call a service director should be making to a customer who had sub-par service experience. In fact, it wasn't the type of phone call that a service director should make to a customer at all, and expect to keep his job. (I've seen managers loss their job for less offensive conversations with customers.)
   It took several minutes for me to realize just what happened. And I don't think it really started to sink in until this morning.
  Who knows... maybe he's right. Maybe I am just an asshole.

No comments:

Post a Comment